Saturday, September 17, 2011

No guinea pig yet...


not our ceviche
...BUT we did have ceviche for lunch today.  Ceviche is raw fish that is marinated in lime juice until the acidic juice “cooks” the fish.  I’ve been told that North American limes aren’t strong enough to cook the fish sufficiently…so don’t try this at home!  Ceviche is often mixed with chile peppers, onions, and/or tomatoes.  The dish is said to have originated a long, long time ago in the area which is present-day Peru.  

A few days ago, we bought our first (and last?) bottle of Inca Kola.  It is probably the most popular soda around here.  It is more carbonated than your standard cola and tastes like a lot like bubble gum.  David thinks its taste resembles Jones Soda; I think this is because of the type of sugar it uses.  I’m not a fan of it, so I’ll probably just stick to my Pepsi.  

not ours either
In the past week, we also had lomo saltado which is another traditional Peruvian dish.  It’s basically strips of beef with pieces of tomato and onion served with white rice and French fries. (Well, technically, they’re just called fried potatoes here, but to the norteamericana that I will forever be, they’re French fries and will be eaten always with Heinz ketchup.)  I think this may have been my favorite meal at the orphanage to date. 

Some of our less adventurous food endeavors this past week included pizza (from Pizza Hut, no less), grilled cheese, and eggs and bacon.  Stay tuned for my review of the cheesecake (or milkshake…I haven’t decided yet) we’re planning on stopping for after church tomorrow!  -C

No comments:

Post a Comment