Saturday, September 3, 2011

It's our one week anniversary!

Honestly, this seems like a big accomplishment. This past week was filled with so much new stuff that it truly seems longer. Here are some of my (significant and insignificant) achievements of the past week:

Gave and enforced my first time out (in Spanish)

Learned how Peruvian cell phones work

Rode in a moto-taxi from Salaverry (a nearby town) back to the orphanage…oh yeah, and helped push it out when it got stuck in the sand

Ate a hamburger that ended up actually being ham…in the shape of a burger

Ate a hamburger that was topped with French fries and a fried egg

(…are you noticing a theme? I’ve been really craving a cheeseburger lately; that will be my first meal when we come back for Christmas and probably my second as well)

Sat through, contributed to, and took notes on 5 meetings (4 in Spanish, 1 in English)

Cleaned up one of the casitas (houses where the kids stay) which flooded while the house mom was away (with LOTS of help from the other workers)

Attempted to go to an aerobics class in the nearby town of Moche with two other volunteers, Kelly and Stephanie (unfortunately, it was closed this week )

Have received ZERO mosquito bites! Granted, I haven’t even seen a mosquito out since it’s so cold here, but I’m still pretty excited.

I would love to add, have not gotten sick, but, alas, that is no longer true. (I was doing so well, too!) I’m not terribly sick, but the food here and I are not getting along very well, despite the vitamins and probiotics I take daily. I’m not surprised; I get sick EVERY time I leave the country. This, too, shall pass.

Some people (*cough cough* Kristi) have asked for our mailing address here. We would LOVE to receive your letters! I’ve recently learned that we can receive packages too, but if they look too tempting or expensive they won’t find their way through customs. Here it is:

David and Courtney Busscher

c/o Albergue Infantile Hogar de Esperanza
Autopista Moche/Salaverry KM 3.5
Frente de Camal de San Fransisco
Trujillo, Peru
South America

Thank you! -C

6 comments:

  1. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Thanks! :-)

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like it's been an eventful week. Doesn't sound like you'll be bored any time soon. Glad you're getting along well and hope your system adjusts and that you feel better soon. Love you guys! Take care. Steve and Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. we should set a time for skype at least once a week. How about Friday night at 10:00?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really glad to hear that the Spanish is working for you. Have you seen God at work in your adventures so far?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you! and hoping to get Megan on Skype this weekend too. I hope you both feel well and stay well. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheesecake at 3:30 AM - gee, I wonder who posted THAT!

    ReplyDelete