Saturday, August 27, 2011

We're here!

We are so excited to have arrived at Hogar de Esperanza safely AND with all our luggage! Hopefully over the next week or so I’ll be able to post some pictures of our apartment and of the orphanage. Two of the volunteers, Ashley and Bryson, picked us up at the airport this morning, and we arrived at the orphanage at about 8:30am (Central Time). We were then able to take a nap before lunch. J Now we’re working on settling in—unpacking and the like. The rest of today is a relaxation day; we’ll probably watch a movie and maybe get to meet some of the kids later. Tomorrow we’ll go to church and then have another day to chill out before getting started on Monday. We’re not sure exactly what we’ll be doing Monday, but we’ll let you know when we know!

It's actually in the dead of winter here, so I'm wearing jeans, 2 pairs of socks, a sweatshirt and a jacket. They don't have heat or air conditioning here because the temperatures are usually so mild. Kind of a surprise for being in South America!

My body is already rebelling against this travel/foreign country thing. My current plan of action is to take it easy and to take care of myself this weekend so I can hopefully head off any significant illness. We’d greatly appreciate prayers this weekend for good adjustment and health! Feel free to comment with any questions…we’ll try to answer them as soon as we can! -C

2 comments:

  1. David & Courtney - so good to hear your news! I'm so glad you've safely arrived and got ALL your luggage, too. I remember going to Papua New Guinea back in the 80s and arriving at my final destination with no luggage! That's hard when you're in a new place and don't have your "stuff."
    I'll pray for your good health. I had no idea it was winter in Peru. Stay warm, you two! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey David and Courtney! I am thinking and praying for you! So glad to hear that you made it safely. I hope you are able to adjust to this new culture, climate and lifestyle. I can't wait to see pictures of the apartment! Post them soon! Also- can we send you letters? What is the address?
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete